- The spouse of a cinematographer killed on the set of “Rust” says it’s “absurd” that Alec Baldwin believes he’s not to blame for his husband’s death and that he was “very furious” when Baldwin refused to accept responsibility.
- Last month, Baldwin turned up his phone to authorities, and Dyer indicated that he is continuing to fully cooperate with the investigation.
The spouse of a cinematographer slain on the set of “Rust” says it’s “absurd” that Alec Baldwin feels he’s not to blame for the killing and that he was “so upset” when Baldwin refused to take responsibility.
The comments, which were excerpted from an interview with the “Today” show on Wednesday, are Matt Hutchins’ first public statements since his wife Halyna Hutchins died on Oct. 21.
“The concept that the person holding the gun and causing it to discharge is not liable is ludicrous to me,” Matt Hutchins said in an interview with Hoda Kotb on “Today,” which will run in its entirety on Thursday.
Baldwin told ABC News in December that he was aiming the gun at Halyna Hutchins on the New Mexico sets of the Western when it went off without him squeezing the trigger, killing her and wounded director Joel Souza.
“I was enraged watching him,” Hutchins added. “I was just so upset to watch him talk about her death so openly and in such detail and then not accept any responsibility after describing killing her in such detail.”
“Someone is accountable for what happened,” Baldwin stated in the interview, “and I can’t identify who that is, but it isn’t me.”
“Gun safety was not the only concern on that set,” Matt Hutchins noted.
“A lot of industry standards were not followed,” he stated, “and there are several parties to blame.”
In a wrongful death complaint filed last week, Matt Hutchins and his 9-year-old son named Baldwin, the film’s producers, and others as defendants.
It claims that Baldwin, a producer on the picture, and his co-producers were “callous” in their response to safety issues and that their “reckless conduct and cost-cutting techniques” directly contributed to her death.
Baldwin’s lawyer, Aaron Dyer, said that any allegations that the actor was careless are “completely incorrect.”
At least four other cases have been filed after the shooting, but Hutchins’ is the first to be linked to one of the two victims.
Baldwin handed over his smartphone to detectives last month, and Dyer stated that he continues to fully cooperate with the inquiry.
Investigators described the handling of guns on the “Rust” set as “some complacency.” They’ve stated that it’s too early to say whether charges would be filed.
Source: CTV News
Get Canada and Yukon’s top News, Market News, and other News of USA and worldwide only on yukonweekly.com