- Whitehorse Fire and Protective Services are issuing a reminder to keep houses safe during extreme cold.
- When there are power outages, residents are asked not to use outdoor barbecues or heating devices inside their homes or garage.
As cold temperatures are expected in the coming days, Whitehorse Fire and Protective Services are issuing a reminder to keep houses safe during extreme cold.
In a statement, the department recommended that smoke and carbon monoxide alarms function properly through daily testing.
When there are power outages, residents are asked not to use outdoor barbecues or heating devices inside their homes or garage.
Those with emergency gas-powered generators must keep them “well away” from doors and windows to prevent carbon monoxide from getting inside.
Space heaters should be kept three feet away from combustible materials and plugged directly into an outlet instead of using extension cords for them. They should not be left unattended or with unsupervised kids or pets.
“Keep your house safe by having annual inspections of heating appliances before the winter season,” the department stated. “A wooden stove, even if only used for back-up heating, will require an annual inspection by a qualified technician.”
Finally, the department advised having a 72-hour kit ready with goods to help sustain your household for three whole days without power or water. The items consist of a first aid kit to two liters of water for each person for each day, and more. An entire list is available online.
The forecast for Whitehorse shows temperatures starting to drop, expected to go as low as -34 C between Dec. 23 and Dec. 26.
Get Canada and Yukon’s top News, Market News, and other News of USA and worldwide only on yukonweekly.com